U.S. President Donald Trump has shown excitement at the decision of North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un to suspend all nuclear and missile tests. Trump tweeted shortly after the announcement from Pyongyang that Kim has declared that he would suspend nuclear and missile tests starting from Saturday and that he would shut down the site where the previous six nuclear tests were conducted. Trump tweeted: “North Korea has agreed to suspend all Nuclear Tests and close up a major test site. “This is very good news for North Korea and the World – big progress! Look forward to our Summit”. North Korea’s KCNA reported that Kim said the regime no longer needs nuclear tests or intercontinental ballistic missile tests. “Under the proven condition of complete nuclear weapons, we no longer need any nuclear tests, mid-range and intercontinental ballistic rocket tests, and that the nuclear test site in northern area has also completed its mission,” KCNA quoted Kim as saying. The surprising announcement came just six days before Kim is set to meet South Korean President Moon Jae-in, preparatory to a historic summit between Kim and Trump. Trump is set to meet Kim at the end of May or beginning of June, however, a location has not yet been set. Next Friday, Kim will cross the Military Demarcation Line that has divided the peninsula since the end of the Korean War in 1953, becoming the first North Korean leader to do so since then. He would step into “Peace House” on the southern side of the line to meet Moon, with their encounter being broadcast live. Moon signaled this week that everything was on the table at the meeting. “North Korea is expressing its intention for complete denuclearisation and it is not making demands that the U.S. cannot accept, such as the withdrawal of the U.S. forces in Korea,” Moon said on Thursday. The U.S. military has 28,000 troops stationed in South Korea, with back-ups in Japan and on Guam – the legacy of the standoff that has ensued since the Korean War ended in an armistice in 1953.

News

The Nigerian Army is to launch “Operation Last Hold” in Borno North and Lake Chad Region to restore socio-economic activities in the areas, as well as to fast track return Of Internally Displaced Persons to their communities.

The Chief of Training and Operations, Maj.-Gen. David Ahmad announced this on Friday at a news conference.

Ahmadu said Last Hold, which would commence on May 1 and to last for four months, was intended to facilitate the clearance of the Lake Chad waterways of sea weeds and other obstacles obstructing the movement of boats and people across the water channels
.
“It will also ensure the destruction of Boko Haram terrorist camps and strong points in the Lake Chad Basin. The operation will also facilitate the rescue of hostages.

“The operational end-state of Operation LAST HOLD is the total defeat of the Boko Haram Terrorist Sect.

“Strategically, the conduct of Operation LAST HOLD will facilitate the restoration of fishing, farming and other economic activities in the Lake Chad Basin.

“Additionally, it will facilitate the relocation of Internally Displaced Persons from IDP camps to their communities,” he said.

Also speaking, Maj.Gen. Nuhu Angbazo, the Chief of Military/Civil Affairs said during the duration of the operation, Nigerian army Engineers would make blocks using compressor machines and assist in building new homes for IDPs at their various towns.

According to Angbazo, the army will cooperate with state governments and ministries of agriculture to assist in land clearing for planting during the planting season.

He said it would also provide protection throughout planting period with patrols and escorts up to and during the harvest season to ensure food sufficiency.

Angbazo added that medical resources would be deployed to cover the period of the exercise.

All these activities and others, he said, would take place at Monguno, Gajiran, Baga, Dapchi, Geidam, Michika, Askira Uba, Kukawa and Mallam Fatori.

Others, he said are Gashage, Arege, Kerenuwa, Gamboru Ngala Jilil, Bama, Pulka, Marte, Damboa, Dikwa, among other affected towns in the North East.

@pmnewsnigeria.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.