Islamic group accuses Christian militia of carrying out Plateau killings, slams Lalong

News

The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) has called for the immediate rounding up of all members of the alleged Christian militia that reportedly killed 22 unarmed Muslim travellers in Rukuba, Jos, Plateau State, on Saturday.

DAILY POST reported yesterday that there were skirmishes on Saturday morning at Rukuba road area of Jos North LGA of Plateau State, which claimed many lives and left several others injured.

Reports say that 23 of those attacked lost their lives while 23 persons sustained injuries and are currently receiving treatment. 26 others were said to have been rescued unhurt.

So far, 20 suspects have been arrested and security agencies are conducting investigations to get to the bottom of the matter.

And MURIC, in a statement signed by its Director, Professor Ishaq Akintola, and issued to reporters on Saturday evening called for the immediate arrest of everyone involved in the attack.

“Twenty two (22) unarmed Muslim travellers were brutally killed by a Christian militia group at Rukuba, Jos, Plateau State, today, Saturday, 14th August, 2021,” MURIC claimed.

MURIC further claimed that the Muslims had attended the annual dhikr prayer in Bauchi State and were returning to Ikare, Ondo State, when they were waylaid by the notorious Irigwe Christian militia.

MURIC, therefore condemned the massacre, describing it as barbaric, and demanded the rounding up of all members of the Irigwe Christian militia.

“They must be brought to justice. They ran away from the crime scene when they saw security men approaching. But they had participated in the killing of twenty two (22) and wounding of fourteen (14) before taking to their heels.

“It is not possible for the six who were arrested to have been the only attackers. Only six attackers could not have surrounded people who filled five buses. The rest must be fished out.

“We reject the crocodile tears and lies of Governors Lalong of Jos and Akeredolu of Ondo State who claimed that the attack was a case of mistaken identity.

“This excuse is the first sign of executive conspiracy. It is a shame that Akeredolu will trivialise the massacre of citizens of his own state simply because the victims happen to be Muslims. #Muslimlivesmatter.

“How can anybody say Muslims from Ikare in Ondo State were killed in such a large number due to ‘mistaken identity’? That is balderdash. It is unthinkable. Who do the Christian terrorists have the right to attack and kill for their pleasure and who should they spare? This kind of excuse has exposed the mentality of the two governors. They are shedding crocodile tears,” the group said.

According to MURIC, state Governor, Simon Lalong’s body language is making it difficult for Muslims to trust him just as the Islamic human rights group alleged an attempt to sweep the killings under the carpet, “because his kinsmen are the culprits and he has a history of covering up their crimes.”

MURIC said that the killing of General Alkali was still fresh in its memory, alleging an attempt to cover up the act.

Meanwhile, Lalong has imposed a curfew from 6pm to 6am in Jos North, Bassa and Jos South LGAs of the state until further notice.

He said he had received briefings on the situation from the relevant heads of security agencies and had monitored the unfolding scenario.

He said his government was concerned about the persisting tensions and attempts by some persons to take the laws into their hands by threatening to attack individuals and private facilities, as well as public property.

Lalong said that In order to avoid further security breaches and to protect lives and properties of citizens, he has decided to impose a curfew on the affected areas.

According to him, movement in the affected area shall remain restricted subject to further review by his Security Council.

@dailypost.ng