Boxing promoter, Eddie Hearn, has said Anthony Joshua has not decided to “cash out” in the Andy Ruiz Jr rematch, but has taken a greater risk by agreeing the world title fight in Saudi Arabia.
Joshua will fight Ruiz Jr again in Diriyah on December 7, as he attempts to avenge his shock stoppage defeat in June.
The Mexican had previously spoken about his reluctance to travel to Britain and Hearn insists Joshua was more interested in repairing his reputation, than any financial reward on offer in the Middle East.
“He [Ruiz Jr] didn’t want to fight in the UK, felt it was unfair. I don’t think AJ wants any excuses. He wants to make sure that he wins this fair and square and to do it on a neutral territory made sense.
“I don’t think Anthony Joshua needs to cash out. I think he’s doing alright. In terms of the risk, there is greater risk for him in this fight, doing it in a neutral venue, than over in the UK.
“I think that’s just common sense, but I admire him for that, he doesn’t fear a challenge,” Hearn told Sky Sports.