Miss Nonkanyiso Conco, the 24-year-old former South African President Jacob Zuma’s wife-to-be, has quit her job after she was threatened with recall.
Conco on Monday resigned from her job as national executive committee treasurer and communications officer at the non-profit organisation.
According to the reports, Conco had until close of business on Monday to resign or face a recall from her post.
She had been accused of failing to disclose her relationship with Zuma and “was not transparent about their affiliation.”
Leonora Mathe, deputy chairperson of the She Conquers national executive committee, confirmed that Conco handed in her resignation on Sunday.
“Yes, Conco did resign yesterday [Sunday],” Mathe said, adding that the resignation was accepted.
Former Vice President Cyril Ramaphosa established She Conquers in 2016 to tackle issues facing women in South Africa, including the rising rate of HIV infection, among adolescent girls and young women; teenage pregnancy; and gender-based violence.
Mathe said Conco’s affiliation with Zuma was against what the organisation aimed to achieve in its mandate.
“As young girls, we are lured and used by people with power who use their positions to take advantage of us,” she said.
She added: “As a campaign, we promote economic empowerment and self-dependency of young women to eliminate the concept of reliance of ‘blessers’,” better known as “sugar daddies” elsewhere.
Conco‚ who is 52 years younger than Zuma‚ reportedly gave birth to a son on the former leader’s 76th birthday on 12 April.
She has been visiting the Nkandla compound since she was 19‚ the Sunday Times reported.
Conco will become Zuma’s seventh wife, and her baby is his 23rd child, according to reports.
76-year-old Jacob Gedleyihlekisa Zuma is a South African politician who served as the fourth President of South Africa from the 2009 general election until his resignation on 14 February 2018