About 25 people were yesterday confirmed dead while 53 others have sustained injuries in a suicide bomb attack at a market in Biu Local Government Area of Borno State.
A member of the Civilian JTF in Biu town, Aliyu Abu, phoned and told Daily Trust on Sunday in Maiduguri that while evacuating the victims, they identified 25 corpses that include 11 women and seven children.
“At first 19 people were confirmed dead and later six others also died,” Abu said, “We have buried eight of them already.”
Speaking, the police spokesman in the state, DSP Victor Isuku, however said so far, only 13 persons were reported to have been killed. “Today (yesterday) at about 11:40am, two female suicide bombers infiltrated and gained entry into Biu town in Biu LGA.
“One of the bombers detonated an IED strapped to her body within Biu Main Market, while the other one detonated outside the market square,” he said, adding, “So far, a total of 13 persons excluding the two suicide bombers, have been confirmed killed in the two explosions. While 53 others sustained various degrees of injuries.”
DSP Isuku added that Police Patrols/EOD Teams led by the Acting Area Commander, Biu, were promptly mobilized and dispatched to the scene,” saying, the corpses and the injured persons have been evacuated to the General Hospital, Biu.
Our correspondent learnt that, another suspected female suicide bomber was arrested amidst crowds of sympathizers. She confessed that they were five deployed for suicide missions in Biu town. Two are still at large.
It was also gathered that those who sustained serious wounds were yesterday evening on their way to Maiduguri, because the Biu General Hospital doesn’t have enough capacity to treat all the victims. The wounded were all traders.
“Meanwhile, normalcy has been restored and the area rendered safe,” the police spokesman said.